Thursday 24 May 2012

Alu Nimki =]

Aloha Darlings!
I know that this is a completely random post. And will probably be a few more coming your way soon =D
I am no Cook but I love to do it anyways.HehEheheheheh.
Anyways me and my friends drool over Alu Nimki. Whenever we get to eat some it's gone within 5 seconds. But I think obviously the best tasting on can only be found in Nepal. I remember walking down the road from my house every afternoon while I was on holiday there to just get my hands on the alu nimki served on a bit of news paper and a card spoon.  
THE BEST! ARGHH!!!

And while here although you can buy alu nimki in some Nepalese restaurants and cafes now, it really doesn't taste the same to me. So I asked my lovely mum for the recipe so that I can try it myself. :D
It really wasn't too difficult. Now I prefer the one I make at home rather than buying it when im out. 

So erm.. thought Id share it with you guys as well!
My mums friend who makes the most AWESOMEST nimki in the world always sends me some when she is making them. And I finish eating it the day I get it! I regret it after wards...
I think the longest and difficult part in making the alu nimki would be the nimki...bloody mixing and cutting and frying. I just burn more than others, some are waaaaay thicker than others so now I usually tend to eat when im sent some nimki. All in all it takes me about 30 mins to get all done and ready to eat. Without making my own nimki of course. One of the easiest food thing ever!!
I got sent some more a few days ago and decided to take photos as I went this time for this post. Its all gone now... :(

ANYWAYS HERE WE GO!! -

INGREDIENTS-


* Nimki Obviously.  Make Your Own or Buy Some From a Shop?

* Potatoes Boiled and Lightly Mashed. Use About 3 I Would Say.

* Chopped Onion (preferably red), Chilli and Coriander.   

* 3 Tablespoons of  Plain White Flour. I Think You Actually Use Some Other Type of Flour But Since I Didn't Have Any Plain White Flour Seemed To Work Fine. 

* Teaspoon of Garlic and Ginger Paste. Which most of already have in the kitchen.

I Don't Know What The Actual Name is So Ill Just Say Masala. Jeera Masala? I Think? Mine Just Has The Masala, Chilli Powder and Black Salt All Mixed Together. 


* And Just Colouring. Optional.

* Oh And SALT!

* And also would say have about 1 and a half cup of boiled water ready! Just makes things easier when its hot already.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heat Up a Pan/Pot.

After Heated for a Few Minutes, Add The Flour And Keep It Moving So It Doesn't Burn.


Add The Half a Teaspoon Colouring and Salt Now. Mix Together.

Add Teaspoon of Garlic and Ginger Paste. MIX!!!


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slowly Add The Boiled Water and Keep Stirring Till All The Lumps Go Away.

Afterwards Add The Mashed Potatoes. and Mix!!!

Will Look Like This. Allow to Cool for a Bit.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Get Nimki Ready in Bowl.

Add the Potato Thing.

Then Add The Chilli, Onion, Coriander and Masala.

Oh Then You can add some lemon juice for more NOM. Add More Salt If You Need To.


NOM!


S.C
-x-

3 comments: